Curcumin is an active compound derived from the Indian spice turmeric. It has been widely acclaimed for its diverse health-promoting effects on nearly every organ system in the body,1-6 including its support for the body’s natural inflammatory response system.7 But most curcumin is neither absorbed well nor retained well in the blood—posing a challenge to those who wish to maximize its benefits.8
Life Extension® took the lead in resolving this issue several years ago by introducing Super Bio-Curcumin® containing BCM-95®, a patented, bioenhanced preparation of curcumin that has been shown to reach up to seven times higher concentration in the blood than standard curcumin.8
Now, an exciting next generation curcumin formula has become available. Advanced Bio-Curcumin® with Ginger & Turmerones provides additional compounds that further boost absorption of curcumin’s highly beneficial phytonutrients.9,10
In addition to BCM-95®, this new curcumin formula contains:
Turmerones: After curcumin is extracted from turmeric, what remains is turmeric oil rich in compounds called turmerones.11,12 Combining BCM-95® with a high content of turmerones provides health consumers with more beneficial turmeric compounds that further multiply absorption.9 Scientists have shown that these potent turmerones not only support curcumin absorption, but significantly increase the amount of curcumin inside the cell as well.9
Ginger: Curcumin and ginger are close botanical relatives. Research demonstrates that they have overlapping and complementary health benefits,13 and scientists are focusing on the therapeutic effects of combining these two plants.14,15 Advanced Bio-Curcumin® with Ginger & Turmerones provides a supercritical extract of ginger standardized to the greatest concentration of ginger compounds—including beneficial gingerols and shogaols.
Phospholipids: This new curcumin formula also contains phospholipids, a type of emulsifying molecule known to greatly enhance absorption of poorly soluble active compounds.10
The enhanced bioavailability and potency of Advanced Bio-Curcumin® with Ginger & Turmerones is superior to conventional curcumin supplements. This product represents the most powerful and cost-effective way to supplement with—and receive the full benefits of—this very critical nutrient.
1. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;595:197-212.
2. Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):2-13.
3. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2012 Mar;39(3):283-99.
4. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;595:1-75.
5. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2009 Feb;30(2):85-94.
6. Curr Drug Targets. 2011 Mar 1;12(3):332-47.
7. J Clin Immunol. 2007 Jan;27(1):19-35.
8. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2008 Jul-Aug;70(4):445-9.
9. J Med Food. 2012 Mar;15(3):242-52.
10. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2007;60:171-7.
11. J Agric Food Chem. 1999 Oct;47(10):4297-300.
12. Z Naturforsch C. 2001 Jan-Feb;56(1-2):40-4.
13. Osteoarth Cartilage. 2003 Nov;11(11):783-9.
14. Wound Repair Regen. 2009 May-Jun;17(3):360-6.
15. Available at: http://www.umassmed.edu/hema_oncology/ MDSInfo/curcuminandgingerol.aspx . Accessed September 25, 2013.