Many aging individuals find themselves under assault from rising blood sugar levels. Despite a healthy diet and exercise, blood sugar levels can rise due to a number of factors including excess gluconeogenesis where by the liver produces glucose from protein. Another issue is the rapid conversion of any starch, including whole grains, into glucose. The result is that even health-conscious, active people can experience higher-than-desired blood sugar levels as they age.1,2
An all-natural, multi-pronged approach has been designed to support the natural balance of key glucose pathways. Tri Sugar Shieldâ„˘ provides three plant-derived nutrients thatâ€”through their rich array of complementary mechanisms3-18â€”afford an unrivaled level of optimal, broad-spectrum support for healthy glucose metabolism in aging individuals within normal range.
Life ExtensionÂ® Tri Sugar Shieldâ„˘ contains the following three nutrients:
Sorghum Bran Extract
Sorghum is a grass plant found in Southern Asia that helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, among those in the normal range, by modulating four different mechanisms:
Balances the rate of sugar manufacture in the liver (gluconeogenesis).5
Promotes insulin sensitivity.6
Regulates PPAR-gamma, a metabolic thermostat controlling glucose metabolism.6,7
Regulates the enzyme alpha-amylase, which in turn controls the release of sugar found in starch.3,4
Mulberry leaf extract
Mulberry leaf has been used in Chinese traditional medicine for centuries. Mulberry leaf extract targets three different mechanisms:
Targets the alpha-glucosidase enzyme to regulate conversion of starch into glucose.8-10
Supports glucose transporter GLUT4 that moves glucose out of the bloodstream and into muscle and liver cells.11,12
Promotes insulin sensitivity.13
Phloridzin is a natural polyphenol found in various fruit trees.14 Phloridzin helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, among those in the normal range by:
Targeting carrier protein SGLT1, in turn helping to block the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream.15,16
Targeting carrier protein SGLT2, in turn supporting glucose elimination via urine.17,18
By targeting all of these diverse glucose pathways, Life ExtensionÂ® Tri Sugar Shieldâ„˘ delivers the widest possible support to help naturally stabilize already healthy glucose levels.
1. Croat Med J. 2006 October; 47(5): 709â€“13.
2. J Biol Chem. 2001 Sep 21;276(38):36000-7.
3. J Med Food. 2011 Jul-Aug;14(7-8):799-807.
4. Available at: http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/ tmve/wiki100k/docs/Amylase.html. Accessed September 24, 2013.
5. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2012;9(1):106.
6. Nutr Res Pract. 2012 Aug;6(4):322-7.
7. Available at: http://www.medscape.com/viewÂarticle/461349. Accessed September 24, 2013.
8. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Sep;84(3):551-5.
9. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Jul 11;55(14):5869-74.
10. Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ ency/imagepages/19826.htm. Accessed September 24, 2013.
11. Am J Chin Med. 2012;40(1):163-75.
12. Cell Metab. 2007 Apr;5(4):237-52.
13. Nutr Res. 2011 Nov;31(11):848-54.
14. Phytochemistry. 2010 Jun;71(8-9):838-43.
15. J Agric Food Chem. 2009 Jun 10;57(11):4651-6.
16. Diabetes. 2012 Jan;61(1):187-96.
17. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2010 Jul;9(7):551-9.
18. Mol Biol Rep. 2012 May;39(5):5299-306.